Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Recovery

Yesterday was the big day. I woke up at 5:05am. This is the usual time I get up for work. However, I wasn't going to work that day. I was going to surgery. I have to admit, I didn't sleep well due to the thoughts running through my head about surgery. I deal with this stuff everyday as a nurse. I know that gallbladder surgery isn't a big deal, but being the patient and knowing I had to deal with scared the crap out of me. I knew the procedure, I seen hundred of gallbladder surgeries when I worked in surgery at Deaconess. So, I know what goes on. Still, I hate being the patient.
Anyway, grandma came to pick Lily up at 6am. I gave her millions of kisses before she left. (I have been through surgery before, let me just tell you, this is the first surgery I have since Lily's birth and it scared me more thinking that something could go wrong and I wouldn't get to see my baby girl again. Little dramatic, but still, you never know!!!). Anyway, John took me to the hospital, I got checked in. My surgery was scheduled at 9am. I was in Same Day Surgery til 9:30am. Didn't know what the hold up was, but I was getting more and more nervous. Finally, they came to pick me up to take me to holding. I was placed beside this 90 year lady who was getting her eyes done. I didn't know the exact procedure, but she kept me entertained while I waited. Dr. Kurucz (Marcus is what we call him though) came to visit with me. He said that the water to the hospital got shut off that morning and they couldn't sterilized the scopes they needed for my surgery. So, that is why there was a delay on my surgery. The scopes were being sterilized. He also told me that he went through the ICU department and Vanessa and Ronica harassed him about taking good care of me. He told them that he was going to mess with me and put a colostomy bag and a big dressing on my abdomen to make me think he had to do this extensive surgery. He is so funny! (Thanks Vanessa and Ronica for checking up on me). My nurse came to introduce herself and then the anaesthesia came to talk to me. Marcus told me before he left that he was going to go do a colonscopy real quick while the room was getting ready. So, I waited in holding for about an hour. Finally, the nurse came out and said they were ready for me. I got some "happy juice" before I even got to the room and that is all I can remember. I didn't even get to see the room, I was out. I woke up at 11:45 in PACU. I was sleepy and sore but pretty much alright. I had three nurse taking care of me. (Marcus ratted me out and told everyone that I was an ICU nurse, so they were trying their hardest to take extra care of me) My PACU nurse said that I was the best patient she has had in a long time. I woke up fast and I didn't complain of that much pain. My vitals were great. The only issue I had, which was completely normal, my throat was sore and dry from being without food and water for 16 hrs and having the endotracheal tube for breathing during surgery. I kept coughing, which was not helping the pain situation. Oh! Let's not forget, I was checking my stomach for any unnecessary dressings Marcus may have placed. He didn't do anything like he said he would! I'll have to give him a hard time at my follow up appointment. Anyway, I was out of PACU by noon.
I went back to Same Day Surgery. John was waiting on me when I got there. It was so good to see him. He told me that Marcus came to talk to him. Marcus said that the surgery went great. He went ahead and fixed a hernia that I had. However, he said that I would probably need to get it done again later. He just sutured the hernia down, but later I will need mesh. He couldn't do it now with the risk of infection. I was surprised I had a hernia, but then again, all I do is lift on people. I have noticed a difference where he fixed it though. Well, the nurse came in and gave me a pain pill and told me that I had to walk and use the bathroom before I could go home. Then, she left. I waited for about 30 minutes before she came back in. I immediately told her I wanted to get up and use the bathroom. She was really surprised! I walked down the hall (with my big butt sticking out) and went to the bathroom. I don't know if that hernia was pushing on my bladder or what, but my bladder felt completely different....in a good way! After giving birth, my bladder wasn't the same, but now it's back to normal...too weird.
I was discharged home around 1pm. I was so happy to get home and to relax. We went to CVS to get my pain medication and to McDonald's to get me a sweet tea and John some lunch. I came home and immediately changed clothes and made a spot on the couch. I took about a two hour nap. I felt a little better, but not much. Lily came home not too much later. I was SO SO SO happy to see her. I can't lift her, but I gave her a million more kisses. Marcus said that Lily is the only thing I can lift for two weeks, but for the next couple of days I'm not going to hold her. Especially since I had a hernia along with this.
Last night was a very long and uncomfortable night. I couldn't lay flat because of the gas that they used during surgery it would come up to my shoulders and I felt I couldn't breathe. John brought extra pillows in to lift my head up. I tried that for a couple of hours but it didn't help. About 1 am, John got me up and I laid on the couch. That didn't help either, so 3:30 am John helped me up and I went back to bed. I slept for 4 hrs before Lily woke up. John got up with Lily while I stayed in bed, but I couldn't go back to sleep. Today, I have been really really sore. Not as bad as yesterday, but still sore. I am hoping in the next couple of days I will be back on my feet!
I just wanted to say Thank you for all the well wishes. I really appreciate it. I really appreciate my co-workers who are checking up on me...you guys are the best!

No comments: